Question:
Should restaurants post calorie counts on their menus?
2010-09-11 20:01:33 UTC
In New York, it's now the law - restaurants, coffee shops and the like have to post the calories on the menu. Sales of 600-calorie muffins have dropped dramatically. I know I would probably think twice before ordering the 1300-calorie salad, too!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25464987/wid/11915773?GT1=31037

What do you think?
Eleven answers:
?
2010-09-12 18:57:40 UTC
When I first heard about this law, I thought it was kind of silly. I mean, who can't walk into a restaurant and choose something healthy on the menu? Who's going to be shocked that their double cheeseburger with bacon and extra mayo is (gasp) full of fat and calories? My first reaction was that America's weight problem was being blamed on restaurants instead of on the people who choose what they eat at those restaurants.

Then, I changed my mind. My mother in law is always buying me these magazines that I would never pick up myself, like Woman's Day, because of the elaborately decorated cakes on the front. It's kind of an inside joke, because even though I love to bake, I am hopeless at making my creations look attractive. Anyway, one afternoon I was actually reading one of these magazines and saw an article about choosing healthy foods when eating out. The article compared the nutrition information for different menu items at chain restaurants, and some of it was very surprising. I wish now that I'd kept the article, because I can't find it online. Here's what I do remember:

A slice of pizza with pepperoni and mushrooms has less fat and fewer calories than a slice of cheese pizza at Pizza Hut. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case, but the cheese pizza has so much more cheese on it than pizza with toppings, that even the pepperoni isn't as bad for you.

When choosing between a veggie burger and a steak--the steak is better. Those veggie burgers are usually cooked in butter, and with the condiments and extra calories from the roll, you're better off with the steak. (or maybe it was a turkey burger? you get the idea)

Want some breakfast? A veggie omelet is higher in fat and calories than many people would suspect because the veggies are first sauted in butter and THEN the omelet itself is cooked in butter. I don't remember what the breakfast was that the article compared it to, or the restaurant named, but I have to admit I was suprised.

After reading the article and seeing the nutrition information for the various dishes, I started to think that having the fat and calorie content of restaurant meals available to customers would be a good idea. I wish ALL restaurants did that, because so many of the meals we would think of as healthy turned out to be worse than the meals we would think of as unhealthy.

So that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)
2010-09-12 00:16:49 UTC
Let me preface this by saying that I read EVERY label in the grocery store before I buy, and I often ask for nutritional information from fast food resturants that I eat at. I like to know what I'm cramming in my face, for better or for worse.

I know a lot of people are going to cry that ignorance is bliss on this one, but seriously, what did you think you were putting in your face? If it tastes that good it probably isn't good for you, we all know that. This new law makes resturants accountable, in a way. I never eat anything in my home with out knowing what's in it, I would like the same when I eat out. I know the danish has 600 calories, but if I want it, that's not going to change my mind any more than if the calories weren't listed next to it.

I'm surprised at how ignorant some people can be about what they eat. It's a great move- it helps educate the general population as well as giving resturants a reason to offer HEALTHY choices. It doesn't have to be health OR flavor- there is such a thing as both. Now that what we're comsuming is out in the open, maybe the people who make our food for us will make a better effort to make our food HEALTHY for us.
Mama to Emily
2010-09-11 20:16:55 UTC
Yes ALL restaurants should post calories. Im trying to diet and learned its best to count calories but cant do it if Im out at a restaurant like fridays.
?
2010-09-12 05:37:30 UTC
I like the story about the woman who told the waiter that she would like to order a salad but he should bring her lasagna by mistake.

My doctor insists that a hot fudge sundae with a crouton on top is not a salad. Gee!

I suppose that it would be good to know what you are ordering. Weight control is about 3/4 what you eat and 1/4 what you do (exercise). There is no doubt that the majority of (us) are overweight.
2010-09-12 01:32:28 UTC
HEre in Portland ORegon they are looking at having restaurants with 15 or more locations list calorie counts. IT does make you think but then again, doesn't that make it harder to enjoy a meal out?
?
2010-09-12 00:11:06 UTC
Depends on the person. Anyone working with food,they may say no because of the drop in sales. But otherwise,ppl like me,I say its a good way to keep a hold of yourself when your on a diet and want to eat good food that wont blow off your entire week of exercise.
makamaka
2010-09-12 11:30:33 UTC
I think they should!

It encourages amercians to eay healthier, and it also motivates restraunts to lower calorie counts. My Macoroni Grill (sorry spelling) did it, and I love it!
u4ia t
2010-09-11 20:03:36 UTC
I say they should, and people should learn more about what is appropriate daily calorie intake and exercise at least somewhat (just taking a walk is good for You!). :)
Vhatusay
2010-09-11 22:25:56 UTC
They should but I do not think that it is necessary unless it has a gargantuan calorie count.
Mary
2010-09-11 20:37:46 UTC
Yes. . that would make calorie counting so much easier!! LOL
2010-09-12 11:31:34 UTC
yes they should